Transferring Sticky Password 4 to a new computer

Frequently asked questions

Transferring Sticky Password 4 to a new computer

Postby ondrej.novak » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:12 pm

To begin the installation, download the latest build of Sticky Password 4 to your new computer. The installation file is available here:

Download the latest version of Sticky Password

To transfer your encrypted passwords from your existing computer to the new computer, copy your database file (default.pws) to your new computer.

Copying the database:

From the originating location (old computer) of Sticky Password 4 copy the default.pws file, which can be found in the My documents/Sticky Passwords folder, to the My documents/Sticky Passwords folder at the new location of Sticky Password 4 (new computer).

Activate Sticky Password on your new computer with the SAME License Key as on the old computer.
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Re: Transferring Sticky Password 4 to a new computer

Postby kiteboarder » Mon May 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi, I currently have SP 3.4 running on my XP computer "generously received license from GOTD" (ps: I LOVE SP and easily one of the best programs out there imho!) and have SP 4 installed on my Windows 7 pc.

How does one go about taking all of the database of websites and passwords from SP 3.4 and transfer it to the SP 4 Windows 7 pc?

kiteboarder
New user

Postby ondrej.novak » Tue May 11, 2010 10:34 am

Hi kiteboarder,

you have several possibilities how to transfer your passwords to the new computer. I recommend you to copy your entire password database file default.pws:

.pws (your database file)

Copying the database:

From Sticky Password 3 copy the default.pws file, which can be found in the
My documents/Sticky Passwords folder, to the
My documents/Sticky Passwords folder (after installing Sticky Password 4).

NOTE: If you are using a different Master Password for Sticky Password 4 than used for Sticky Password 3, then it is important to unlock the database using the Password from SP3!
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby kiteboarder » Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply and especially for such a GREAT program!

Excited to move database later to have this on my new W7 PC and just wanted to add that I have been a webmaster for many years and use a LOT of programs and have to honestly say that SP is right at the TOP of all programs and saves me a lot of time and energy and really do appreciate the commitment and work it must take to create and maintain this ultimate piece of software. Once you have used it (me personally for 3 years and recommended to friends) you wonder how you would get by without it!

*For some reason on my Windows 7 pc I do not have the SP logo at top of page left of - + to autofill and have searched under "settings" and unable to locate an option for it to appear.

**I am also trying to add Firefox Sticky Password auto-fill engine to the W7 pc and after some work found the link on Firefox addons but there is no download link available. Any advice or link to download appreciated.
*May also help to add extension/plugin to sitemap/downloads page.

Much THANKS!
kiteboarder
New user

Postby ondrej.novak » Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 am

Hi kiteboarder,

many thanks for your kind words. We appreciate it so much.

If I understand you right, the Sticky Password Caption button is not displayed in the top corner of your Firefox browser and even the Auto-fill plugin is not installed?

The Sticky Password Autofill engine works only with Sticky Password and it´s not possible to download it separately...

Which version of Mozilla Firefox are you using please?

Also please do the following:

1) click on the Sticky Password system tray icon
2) select "Settings"
3) select "Caption Button" section
4) check if the Caption Button is checked as "Installed" in Mozilla Firefox.

Otherwise is the autofill feature working correctly please?

I would like to ask you if we could use your nice feedback for our testimonials please?

You can check the other testimonials at:

http://www.stickypassword.com/en/about/testimonial

Many thanks.
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby kiteboarder » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi, Iam trying to "Import" my passwords from old pc to new one.

Passwords are stored in a file called "default.pws"

When i go to Import it only gives options to browse for XML or Ini files.

I searched in the new SP folder and there is no "default.pws" as in old pc so I am hesitant to drag and drop it in there w/ out knowing for sure this is correct.

What to do?

Thanks and your help is appreciated!

PS: feel free to use testimonial above as you have earned it! ;)

UPDATE:

1. Did the drag and drop to new SP folder, renamed to Default2, deleted original Default and renamed Default2 to Default.

SP4 then asks for my Master Password. Blank doesn't work and I never used a Master Password on original machine w/ SP3.

Double checked original and Default Login name: is empty.

However I did enter a Master Password on new install but it will not work after #1 above.

Closer but yet so far away...
kiteboarder
New user

Postby ondrej.novak » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:54 am

Hi kiterboarder,

thank you for your message.

default.pws is your encrypted database file. You have to copy it to the My documents/Sticky Passwords folder just as you wrote.

Sticky Password will ask you for your Master Password that locks this database file. This is the password which you have set in your old installation of Sticky Password (in your case it´s Sticky Password 3).

Default Login name is not your Master Password. It´s a predefined Login used when creating new accounts.

You probably haven´t used a Master Password protection to secure your database, have you? But even if the Master Password hasn´t been used, you had to set it when creating your database. You have to remember this password to unlock your database in the newly installed Sticky Password 4.

Do you still have your old copy of Sticky Password installed on your old PC? If so there is another way how to import your passwords. Or you can just change your Master Password on your old computer and copy the default.pws file again to the new one. Then you could unlock it with the new Master Password...
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby kiteboarder » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks Ondrej for the detailed beta and hope this will also help others!

"Do you still have your old copy of Sticky Password installed on your old PC?"

Yes, have had SP3 installed and working awesome for many years... though I have a HUGE list of passwords accumulated! ;)

If so there is another way how to import your passwords.

I am open to these suggestions, please explain both if you would kindly.

Or you can just change your Master Password on your old computer and copy the default.pws file again to the new one. Then you could unlock it with the new Master Password...

I tried to find where to access this also but was unable to figure out how to access Master Password in SP3 on old PC and unable to find any areas for master password add/change as suggested below in another thread.

Yes, it (Master Password) can be changed in Settings -> Database authorization, but it is not recommended, because it may put your data at risk as your private data would be accessible to anyone using your computer.
kiteboarder
New user

Postby ondrej.novak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Hello kiteboarder,

so you have two possibilities how to transfer your passwords from Sticky Password 3 to Sticky Password 4 installed on another PC:

The first one is copying your entire encrypted database file default.pws

Copying the database:

From Sticky Password 3 copy the default.pws file, which can be found in the
My documents/Sticky Passwords folder, to the My documents/Sticky Passwords folder on new PC (after installing Sticky Password 4).

NOTE: If you are using a different Master Password for Sticky Password 4 than used for Sticky Password 3, then it is important to unlock the database using the Password from SP3!

The second one is to export your database from Sticky Password 3 to .ini file (not encrypted) and import it to Sticky Password 4 on your new PC:

Follow these steps to export the database:

1) click on the Sticky Password system tray icon – select Manage Database – then choose Export to text file
2) save your database as an .ini file

Follow these steps to import the database:

1) copy this file to the new location where Sticky Password 4 is installed
2) click on the Sticky Password system tray icon – select Manage Database – select the Backup/Restore tab –then choose the Import option – and select Sticky Password (from exported file) – Load passwords.
3) choose the .ini file you have saved (go to where you saved it)

Regarding changing your Master Password:
You can change your Master Password in Sticky Password 3 in "Manage Database" - "Settings" tab - "Master Password" section. But it´s necessary to enter your old Master Password before the change so this possibility won´t help you. But you can at least try to remember your old Master Password. The fields where you can enter your new Master Password will unlock when you enter the right current Master Password.

Regarding your last question: in Settings - Database authorization, you can change your authorization method but not your Master Password. That means that your are able to set how your database will be protected (by Master Password, by USB device, by Bluetooth device or unprotected). And it´s not recommended to leave your database unprotected (Master Password is the best protection). But if you want to change your Master Password, you have to go to Manage Database - Settings.
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Return to FAQ