SP V7 Conflicts with SnagIt V11 on Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

SP V7 Conflicts with SnagIt V11 on Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

Postby siliconman01 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:35 am

This applies to Sticky Password V7.0.3.30 on Windows 8.1 x64 Professional with Internet Explorer 11.

There is a conflict between SP V7 and TechSmith SnagIt V11.3.0 on Windows 8.1. x64 Pro. This conflict is not occurring on Windows 7 x86 Professional.

The conflict is occurring when the SnagIt Editor component is used to capture, edit, and save or share a picture.

Observed Conflict 1:

1. Sticky Password is active in memory
2. Start SnagIt Editor 11
3. Within SnagIt Editor, go to File>Editor Options and open the Options window.
4. In the Options window, click on OK to close the Options window.
5. Exit/close SnagIt Editor 11
With Sticky Password running, SnagitEditor.exe and TscHelp.exe do not exit fully from memory and have to be manually ended via the Task Manager. Another way to get these 2 executables to close is to simply exit Sticky Password. If SP is NOT running, SnagIt Editor properly closes down and all associated executables exit fully from memory.

Observed Conflict 2:

1. Sticky Password is active
2. Manually start/open SnagIt.
3. After the widget displays at the top of the screen, go to the widget and select "Open the classic capture windows".
4. After the classic capture window opens, click on the red X in the upper right corner of the capture window or go to File>Exit in the top menu.
5. The classic capture window closes, the SnagIt icon disappears from the Notification Tray, and the widget closes/disappears.
6. Open the Windows Task Manager.

Snagit32.exe, SnagPriv.exe and TscHelp.exe are still running in memory and must be manually killed. If Sticky Password is NOT running, SnagIt properly shuts down and all associated executables fully exit memory.

Observed Conflict 3:

1. Sticky Password is active
2. Open MS Word 2013. (I have MS Office 2013 installed locally)
3. Start SnagIt 11 and let the widget stabilize. Ensure the widget is set to capture pictures, not videos
4. On the keyboard, hit Print Screen and capture a window.
5. Once the SnagIt Editor opens with the captured picture, select Share>MS Word to paste the picture in the Word document.
6. As soon as the picture is pasted and the SnagIt pop up appears stating the paste has successfully occurred, click on the red X close button in the upper right corner of SnagitEditor.
7. SnagitEditor then crashes. See the attached Zip file for the Event Viewer crash stats.

Again, if Sticky Password is not active/running, this SnagIt crash does not occur.

SnagIt V11 is available at http://www.techsmith.com
Attachments
SPSystemInfo.zip
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
SnagitEditorCrash.zip
(208.67 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Windows 8.1 Professional on Dell XPS 8700 SE, IE 11(only browser) with SSDs, hard drives, dual monitors, ASUS RT-AC68R router, cable modem; Microsoft Surface Pro 8 tablet.
siliconman01
Experienced user

Re: SP V7 Conflicts with SnagIt V11 on Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

Postby siliconman01 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm

SP V7.0.4.40 did NOT resolve this conflict issue with SnagIt.

I even did a completely fresh re-installation of SP V7.0.4.40 to see if that would correct it. It did not.
Windows 8.1 Professional on Dell XPS 8700 SE, IE 11(only browser) with SSDs, hard drives, dual monitors, ASUS RT-AC68R router, cable modem; Microsoft Surface Pro 8 tablet.
siliconman01
Experienced user

Postby pavelkrcma » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Hello siliconman01,

I'm looking for beta testers of new StickyPassword features. Are you interested? If so, please contact me directly at pavel.krcma@stickypassword.com, I send you details. In the current beta is completely rewriten support for IE11 x64, so it could be interesting to see if it solves your problem. Thank you!

Pavel Krcma
Pavel Krcma
pavelkrcma
Experienced user

Postby siliconman01 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 pm

pavelkrcma wrote:Hello siliconman01,

I'm looking for beta testers of new StickyPassword features. Are you interested? If so, please contact me directly at pavel.krcma@stickypassword.com, I send you details. In the current beta is completely rewriten support for IE11 x64, so it could be interesting to see if it solves your problem. Thank you!

Pavel Krcma

Yes, I am very interested in beta testing Sticky Password. I am emailing you as requested.
siliconman01
Experienced user

Postby pavelkrcma » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:40 am

There is a conflict between SnagIt and StickyPassword hooking technology. I add SnagIt processes to the blacklist, according to my tests it works now.

Pavel Krcma
Pavel Krcma
pavelkrcma
Experienced user

Return to Sticky Password 7 Desktop