Storage of Database in the Cloud

Storage of Database in the Cloud

Postby mtanderson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:16 am

Hello,

Long time user here. One thing I would really like to see is storage of the sticky password database "in the cloud". Perhaps you could use Amazon's S3 storage service or another provider. I would HAPPILY pay an annual subscription fee to you if this worked correctly. Of course there are several security issues to consider but as the developer of a secure password manager, I'm certain you could work it out. I use SP on three different computers (work, home, laptop) and it is quite inconvenient to always have to sync the 3 of them. Of course the database should be accessible offline as well and have some sort of sync and conflict resolution mechanism for multiple changes.

Great job with v4 -- looking forward to v5!
mtanderson
New user

Re: Storage of Database in the Cloud

Postby petr.pinkas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am

Hi,

thank you for you suggestion. We have adding of synchronization feature in our future plans and we will seriously consider you suggestion, you're talking about here.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby TriadX1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:27 pm

I'd love to see this as well. I currently keep mine synced using Microsoft Mesh (It's cloud based)...
TriadX1
New user

Postby yuyuki » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 pm

I agree about this idea.
Currently I must synchronise SP4 over 3 computer at home, my laptop and at the office.

It's really borring to export in unsecure xml and after import on other computer.

A system like cloud or http on private site why not ?
(ftp maybe but I will meet problem with firewall and proxy rules)

I'm ready to test this feature when it exists.

Thank for your work.
yuyuki
New user

Postby mtanderson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi,

Can someone from Sticky Password provide an update on this feature request? I really love Sticky Password but with the additional devices that I use (work computer, work laptop, home computer, smartphone, etc...), synchronization in the cloud or through some common storage mechanism has become a must. I am willing to wait if this feature is being worked on, but if you don't have plans to add it, unfortunately I will need to find a solution elsewhere.
mtanderson
New user

Postby petr.pinkas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:32 pm

We are going to add it in the future and now for the next release we'll add the synchronization feature so anytime you will connect the USB device or so, you will have it synchronized immediately.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby mtanderson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:48 am

Hey Petr,

Thanks for your response.

I think its nice that you're adding auto USB Sync support but I guess I would rather see cloud support first. I don't want to have to carry a USB device around. Cloud storage support and then a smart phone client are the missing links to me using Sticky Password for a long time to come. I've searched around and no one is really doing this "right". There is a real market need that you could fill -- and I think the SP team has the talent to fill it.

Not trying to gripe here, just providing my two cents. Still love the product!
mtanderson
New user

Postby petr.pinkas » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:19 am

Hi,

many thanks for your nice words.

Yes, we know that. For the next v5 we don't have enough time to implement it, but we have it written down and we are seriously considering it. We have to consider it carefully. On one hand, it is becoming a market standard, on the other hand some people don't trust letting their passwords on some server without their control. I think you know what I mean. Regarding the smartphone version - we're preparing a surprise to v5, but it is still not certain.

Stay tooned, be with us and I hope we will satisfy your needs as soon as possible!
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 pm

I like the USB Sync updates we currently have. I think any future cloud type expansion for SP should be an option. I understand why people don't want it out there (despite online banking, online credit cards, online 401K, digital medical records, etc) however there should be that option for folks that just don't want to have their information out there.

For those of us that do want that option (Yea), I think maybe an addon to Dropbox or Microsoft Sync to where it can upload to the interwebs and Sync is done automatically. That being said... nothing over the interwebs should be open text. The Portable version or the desktop version should heavily encrypt prior to uploading to online storage. Perhaps a default encryption of 1024 for those that want to use online Sync?

Other ideas? Comments?
Angel
New user

Postby petr.pinkas » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:14 am

Hi Mike,

thanks for suggestion. We know about that and it is always a question, but we'll be working on that after releasing new v5 in couple of days. It is possible to backup the SP database with Dropbox by selecting the database file - default.pws by default and locking Sticky Password when backing up.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby yuyuki » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 am

Hi,

I've seen new feature in Windows 8.
The possibility to store password in the cloud.

if you can't do that because of infra maybe allowing synchronize with private ftp/html server would be great.

I think at features :
  • Upload file with ftp
  • Download with ftp or with html uri

What do you think about that
yuyuki
New user

Postby ondrej.novak » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi,

the cloud version is in our plans and we will try to add it as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby bushmaster2000 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:13 pm

I would LOVE to see some type of integration with an established cloud storage provider like DropBox. That way if I have a 3 computer license, they can all get the same version of the database from my DropBox account. Having to carry around a USB key and plug it into each computer is 'old school' these days like using floppy disks, we need a more elegant solution.
bushmaster2000

Postby petr.pinkas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 am

We know, it is highly required by some users, but some users wants to stay offline, so we are working on some scenarios and possibilites how to combine these two conditions.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby ncumbie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:23 am

If you only need to synchronize the database across multiple PCs on your home network, I found that I can point two SP 6 installations to the same database file which resides on my Windows Home Server. Making changings from one client shows up on the other client, since they are both editing/viewing the same file (not really synchronizing). But the only issue is that as soon as the file is opened by one client, it locks the other client. This is not an issue for me but it could be for others. Just thought I would put that out there.
ncumbie
New user

Return to Suggestions and Feature Requests