Database not supported, my SP5 now gone!

Please post here questions and problems with upgrading or updating Sticky Password.

Database not supported, my SP5 now gone!

Postby malcarada » Tue May 29, 2012 7:16 pm

I upgraded to SP6 from SP5 to see how it was but I was unhappy with having to click on the eye thing to see my password all the time and how complicated the new password generator was so I went back to SP5 after 5 days of using SP6.

I can't now import the database back into SP5, I get a message saying that the database is not supported, I was never told that there was some incompatibility, this basically means that anyone downloading the trial version will be unable to go back to his licensed SP5.

I think that a warning should have been given here, there is nowhere in the FAQ or anywhere else I can see that the problem is mentioned, people are simply forced to upgrade if they use the trial version, there is no point in testing something when you can't go back.

No, I don't have any old database to restore, they are all in the new format. Is there any work around????
Last edited by malcarada on Wed May 30, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My personal blog: http://www.wipeyourdata.com
malcarada
New user

Re: Database not supported, my SP5 now gone!

Postby petr.pinkas » Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 am

Hi,

actually it is in our FAQs:

I'm upgrading to Sticky Password 6.0. Should I back up my Sticky Password 5.0 (or earlier version) database?

When installing Sticky Password 6.0 on a computer where an earlier version of Sticky Password is already installed (i.e. Sticky Password 5.0, 4.1), all of the data from your existing database will automatically be imported into Sticky Password 6.0. Because of the newly designed database used in Sticky Password 6.0, a migration to earlier versions of Sticky Password is not supported. For this reason, we recommend that you save a copy of your current password database, just in case you decide for any reason to reinstall your previous version of Sticky Password.

To make a copy of your database:

Copy the default.pws file, which can be found in the My documents/Sticky Passwords folder, and save it in another location (folder) on your computer. If you wish to save it in the same folder, it will be necessary to change the name of the file (e.g. oldpassworddatabase.pws).
===========

You have to restore the database from backup from the earlier state of the database from version 5. Let us know if you will have difficulties with this.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Re: Database not supported, my SP5 now gone!

Postby malcarada » Wed May 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Actually I found a work around, there is no need for the old SP5 database. Thanks, problem solved.
My personal blog: http://www.wipeyourdata.com
malcarada
New user

Return to Upgrade, update problems