Chrome plug in will not install

Please post here problems with web browsers and applications.

Chrome plug in will not install

Postby LauraH » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:35 pm

SP 6.0.0.439 Chrome 26.0.1410.43 m

I've updated Sticky Password and unfortunately cannot get the Chrome plug in to install. I get the box showing that it is installing, but nothing happens. I have shut down all other windows and apps. However, the installation box indicates to please close all windows listed below to begin installation of autofill plug-in to Google Chrome. The only window listed is: C:\Users\Laura\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Applic . Next, I go to Task Manager and the only program running if Sticky Password. If I end task, obviously the installation stops. Help? Thanks! :?
LauraH

Re: Chrome plug in will not install

Postby Evzen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:52 pm

Let Task Manager display processes of all users, it's possible that some CHROME.EXE task is running under different user account (system account).
It also helps to switch off the Background apps in Chrome's Advanced settings...
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby LauraH » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Evzen wrote:Let Task Manager display processes of all users, it's possible that some CHROME.EXE task is running under different user account (system account).
It also helps to switch off the Background apps in Chrome's Advanced settings...

Thanks for the advice Evzen, but unfortunately it didn't help solve the problem. I am the only user. I switched off background apps in Chrome's Advanced settings. Still no luck. The one thing I do see is "oldchrome.exe" showing in the processes. I wasn't sure if I should delete that or if I'd be borrowing more trouble.

Sticky password was just fine until the update. I did uninstall and reinstall my version before the update, but was still getting the message to install the Chrome plugin. Can you think of anything else I could try?

Thanks! Laura
LauraH

Postby Evzen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:40 pm

LauraH wrote: I go to Task Manager and the only program running if Sticky Password.
When you bring up Task Manager, look for chrome.exe under the "Processes" tab. If you see one (or more) instances of Chrome (including oldchrome.exe) there after you have closed the browser, right click each one, and select "End Task".

Recent versions of Chrome leave a copy running in the tray that can be overlooked.

If all else fails... consider a fresh Chrome install.

If you use Chrome's sync feature with your Google account, I'd suggest you completely uninstall Chrome, and delete all its residual files in your "C:\Users\youusername\AppData\Local\Google" path. Then reboot/reinstall a fresh Chrome. After you sign-in to Chrome using your Google account, your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, themes, etc., will all be autoloaded by the sync process. When that is complete, you should install the Sticky extension.

Remember I said "If you use Chrome's sync feature with your Google account" ... if you haven't done that, you'll have to restore all the Chrome features manual from manual backups (which you may or may not have).
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby LauraH » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Ending both Chrome.exe in task manager/ processes did the trick! Great job giving support with the right answers! I appreciate it!

Laura :D
LauraH

Postby chaosxian » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 am

You're welcome Laura!
chaosxian
Experienced user

Return to Problems with web browsers and applications