locked database

Please post here only problems with Sticky Password database - unable to read, damaged database etc.

locked database

Postby PIGCH » Thu May 23, 2013 10:41 am

Hi,
I'm having (and so trying) to use 2 instances of SP, one for 'sandboxed' programs (www.sandboxie.com) and one for all others.
To achieve that I copied (copy after each update) stpass.exe to stpass-sb.exe. Starting each instance alone works great, starting the 2nd gives a locked DB error.
I could just copy the (main-)DB at startup to copy.pws and call that from stpass-sb.exe - but how would I do that? Any command line or other trick?

Thank you.
PIGCH
New user

Re: locked database

Postby Evzen » Thu May 23, 2013 11:44 am

Evzen
Experienced user

Postby PIGCH » Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Great, evzen!
I used the search but obviously with 'wrong' terms.

Thank you for your help!
PIGCH
New user

Postby PIGCH » Thu May 23, 2013 12:54 pm

unfortunately does not work for two /concurrent/ instances, you can use that switch only for a single instance. KB says
Code: Select all
Important: Make sure to exit Sticky Password completely, by right clicking on the system tray icon and choosing exit, before switching to the new database. Otherwise, you won't switch to the new database.
PIGCH
New user

Postby Evzen » Thu May 23, 2013 10:11 pm

The main point of the quoted part is that some people don't realize that closing the main GUI window does not close the entire application (i.e. the application is still running and sitting in the systray), thus trying to launch the same application with different database (using the command line switch) will of course fail...

But you said you have a copy of the stpass.exe, so it may work... You could also experiment with actually installing the second instance (instead of making a copy of the EXE), but to different directory than the first one...

Still not sure about the result since Sticky reads/writes its configuration data - including the database location - from/to ONE SINGLE place in registry...
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby PIGCH » Fri May 24, 2013 7:46 am

Hi Evzen,

as any 'good' IT guy I 'never read the manuals' (KBs), so I tried 1st and looked afterwards why it didn't work.
The 2nd instance (called from a batch file in StartUp folder with the CL switch /DB=) always tries to open the exact same DB than the 1st one (started from Registry Run key).

P.S: I temporarily solved it by 'injecting' a copy of the DB into the sandbox. SPs support was supposed to help nevertheless... One reason: This feature was needed to run SP on a TerminalServer where different users need different DBs...
PIGCH
New user

Return to Problems with database