Windows 8.1 RTM

Windows 8.1 RTM

Postby bcarn@austinsp.com » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Sticky Passwords seems to fail in Windows 8.1 PRO RTM the message on the Browser (IE11) is "Sticky Password Toolbar from Lamantine Software a.s isn't compatible with Internet Explorer's enhanced security features and has been disabled'
Is there a fix for this?
bcarn@austinsp.com

Re: Windows 8.1 RTM

Postby ondrej.novak » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi,

our developers are working on it.

The problem is that the Enhanced Protected Mode feature of Internet Explorer 11 is by default turned on and it doesn´t allow our product to work correctly. Please try to disable the Enhanced Protected Mode manually in Internet Explorer 11 settings.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby bcarn@austinsp.com » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:41 am

Thanks. I made the adjustment. Question: will Sticky Password fix this or do you expect it to be disabled when Sticky Password is installed in the future?

Bill
bcarn@austinsp.com

Postby Evzen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:18 am

To explain a bit the technical background - the Enhanced Protected Mode option means that IE is running in full 64-bit mode on 64-bit systems. So the 32-bit Sticky can't 'talk' with 64-bit IE.
Turning the EPM option off actually turns IE into 32-bit mode and allows communication with Sticky.

So it's not really about 'fixing' something in Sticky...
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby bcarn@austinsp.com » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:49 pm

OK I get the 32-64 bit explanation. And IE 11 doesn't run in 32bit mode? What on earth will Sticky Password Pro do after October 18th? Recode the program in 64bit code? As the EPM is enabled by default - at least in my 8.1 version - what are the plus/minus of turning EPM off? How does this effect security - or not?
I am led to believe that the world is moving to 64 bit and just like the 16 bit to 32 bit move, problems will arise. It would be great if these were not revisited this time.
Thanks for your responses.
Bill Carn
bcarn@austinsp.com

Postby The Sand » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:04 am

I can't get StickyPass to run after upgrading to 8.1. I am surprised you did...

I can't "enable" or "disable" in the toolbar because it is listed as "incompatible." It says "incompatible" whether I have Enhanced Protection Mode selected or not. I have contacted Support and they told me to uninstall/reinstall.

Is anybody successfully running StickyPass with Windows 8.1?

I have 2 copies of StickPass Pro for both my laptops (do not want my passwords synced via the cloud) and both aren't working after to upgrading to 8.1.

I have been manually entering in all my password since last Friday - totally hideous!

If StickyPass' solution is to Disable Advanced Protection Mode that is a bad idea. We use StickyPass for convenience and security - we as users are not going to want to "disable" a security function embedded in our browser in order to continue using StickyPass.
The Sand
New user

Postby petr.pinkas » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:03 am

Currently turning off the Enhanced Protection Mode is the only way to get Sticky Password to work. We are investigating ways how to override this, but we are not the only add-on having troubles with this. Microsoft is not making it easy for add-ons.

Enhanced Protected Mode is a security feature that was introduced in Windows 8 and is now enabled by default in Internet Explorer on the Windows 8.1. Enhanced Protected Mode isolates untrusted web content in a restricted environment that's known as an AppContainer. EPM is an additional layer of protection. If you switch this feature off because you need to use an add-on, the overall security is still on the same level as was in the previous versions of Windows.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby The Sand » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:00 am

Thanks for your reply... I went to Internet Options and then to the Security Tab and disabled Protection Mode from there which obviously wasn't the right place. In case someone else stumbles onto this I found out through your tech support you have to go to Internet Options and go to the Advanced Tab and look for Security and disable (uncheck) Internet Enhanced Protected Mode. StickyPass is now working...

I realize most add-ons no longer work in Windows 8.1 (Norton 360 isn't either.) I like the added protection Windows 8.1 gave the browser and really don't mind enabling/disabling a feature, but it is the "restart" that is a bummer - nobody is going to want to constantly "restart" their machine after enabling/disabling Enhanced Protection Mode.

I would like to keep Enhanced Protection Mode enabled so hopefully in the future you can find a way to work with this new Microsoft setting. I would even be willing to launch from within your program as opposed to having you auto load with a tool bar.

Once again, thanks for your reply!
The Sand
New user

Return to Sticky Password PRO