PRIVACY

If you have any ideas how we can improve Sticky Password, ideas for new features etc. post it here.

PRIVACY

Postby John Flyer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:40 am

A decent browser has the ability to clear the history. Software like CCleaner can be used to achieve the same.

Sticky Password reveals the history through the Favorites (List of recently used accounts). The user may limit the list to 1 item as a minimum. I have previously suggested to allow 0 items.

Unfortunately ver 7 still has this violation. To manually empty an unwanted item, 4 mouseclicks are required (Menu>Settings>Favorites>Remove from list). At least a right-click in the list should give a delete option.

BTW, the option to uncheck 'Show the list in the system tray menu' does apperantly not work.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Re: PRIVACY

Postby Evzen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 am

I still don't get what would be the point of saying "DO show me the favorites list, but make it empty" (by leaving the check box to display the list checked, but setting the number of items to 0) instead of simply turning off the favorites list...

And turning it off did work in SP6 for ages... god knows why it doesn't work in SP7...
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:15 pm

If I did say "DO show me the favorites list, but make it empty", I would be a fool. But the fool seems to be located another place.

I have still access to SP6; the attached images show the purpose of the checkbox. As confirmed be Evzen, this feature does not work with ver 7 (seems to be a minor bug).

Still I – and other users – want to have the possibility to turn the favorites list completely off. I really do not see the great advantages with this option; to me the quick search functionality is what I need.

Please, let me decide my own privacy needs.

Favorites_ShowListInSysTray.jpg
SysTray Option IS Checked
Favorites_ShowListInSysTray.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 510 times

Favorites_DoNotShowListInSysTray.jpg
SysTray Option Is NOT Checked
Favorites_DoNotShowListInSysTray.jpg (59.16 KiB) Viewed 510 times
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:19 pm

My post is about the Favorites tab when I select Quick Access from the left bar menu (through settings this list can be set to 1 item displayed).

Now, after being a long time SP user, I have at last noticed that also the Web Accounts menu option has a Favorite tab with a long list of URLs used in the past!

Now I want to extend my post: I want the possibility to turn off ALL listing of “favorites “!

Through Settings the user is able to remove entries from the list. In ver. 7 you have to delete the items one by one. In ver. 6 you had the possibility to select “Remove all”. This is a step backwards.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:49 pm

The functionality of removing the items from Favorites list is not about privacy. It's simply about (at least somehow limited) possibility to edit the list. The list is NOT intended to be empty, it is intended to be there... otherwise it would be optional, wouldn't it? But it's not, so logically it's intended to be there for the easy access to frequently used accounts.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the current functionality, it's still FAR from perfect even for the intended purpose...
All I'm saying is that you are somehow "misusing" (note the quotes!) the available list editing functionality for something else than intended, so it's no wonder that its usability for THAT purpose is not as good as it could be.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:26 am

Evzen, once again you are defending SP in a frenetic way. With your second post in this thread you try a new angle of attack. Your logic reminds me of Ludvig Holberg's Erasmus Montanus [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Montanus].

I have now 18 favorites in Web Accounts > Favorites in random sequence. Useless! The search function is much more helpful: I enter 'sti' and I can read and select the appropriate Sticky item (Sticky Password forum or Sticky Password Support). 15 of the favorites are displayed in the system tray menu and Quick Access > Favorites. To remove them I have to go into Settings and click 18 buttons with <Remove from list>.

Before SP7 leaves the beta phase, I expect, at a minimum, that the <Remove all> button from SP6 resurface as bird phoenix. What about introducing a toggle button like <Turn warnings off> in Quick Access > Warnings? (But I should like to have it in the Settings section.) And of course, allow 0 items in the favorites list. (I hope somebody from the SP team reads this, otherwise I may open a support ticket. The support at Lamantine is excellent.)

During my testing with the 18 favorites, I experienced an application hang (Event id 1002) with C:\Program Files (x86)\Sticky Password\stpass.exe when I clicked the Menu button. It is the first hang I have seen with SP7.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 am

Look, I'm not here to argue... I'm just trying to explain what the things are intended to do and that using them in a different way usually brings more or less inconvenience.
I too have tons of ideas how things could be improved, but I'm not Sticky developer, so I can't do anything about it. You are simply barking a wrong tree here. Contact Sticky support and ask for the improvements there.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby petr.pinkas » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 am

John, of course we are reading it, however, we need more then 1 user and 1 opinion to get some "need" or "feeling" that it is important for our users to implement and that they really want it. Only after that, we can set the priority of it higher the list of all the feedbacks and after that, we have to come with a way, it goes with our product strategy, with our target customer, vision and so on. So, we listen, but only if the crowd is loud, we can start to think about that in a global scope.
And of course, we like when there are arguments, it gives us another perspective of how important it is for some users and how other see it.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby John Flyer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:01 am

petr.pinkas wrote:John, of course we are reading it, however, we need more then 1 user and 1 opinion to get some "need" or "feeling" that it is important for our users to implement and that they really want it.

Thanks for your confirmation. In my opinion, the forum is the right place to exchange thoughts and ideas about Sticky Password, but I should like to have more active users. I encourage everyone reading various suggestions here in the forum to express their opinion.

I wonder, was the removal of the button <Remove all> intentional?

Well, you have the opinion of 2 users in this thread (but they go in opposite directions). At least q8bohmed share my opinion [http://www.stickypassword.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=85568#p97812]
John Flyer
Experienced user

Return to Suggestions and Feature Requests