Norton Internet Security 2011 Causing SP V5.0.2.199 to Crash

Norton Internet Security 2011 Causing SP V5.0.2.199 to Crash

Postby siliconman01 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 pm

This applies to Windows 7 SP1 x64 Professional with SP V5.0.2.199 and Norton Internet Security 2011. IE9 RC is also on this system.

In recent weeks, I have experienced numerous crashes on SP V5.0.2.199 when attempting to add new accounts. In addition, when using Manage Accounts to edit or relocate accounts, SP crashes when attempting to SAVE the changes. At the same time, I was experiencing a problem when installing downloaded version updates of some programs. On running the update installer of the program, the installer would encounter a MoveFile error code 32 (another program is using this file) and request a Retry. Retrying would clear the error. This error may occur numerous times on different files during the installation process. Program installers that I experienced this on are DisplayFusion and Weather Watcher Live. IF I disabled NIS 2011 Antivirus scan before starting the installation process, then no MoveFile error code 32s occurred and the program installer worked as designed.

I ripped out Norton Internet Security 2011 and installed Avira Premium Security Suite V10.0.0.592. Since the conversion, no more SP crashes when adding accounts or managing/saving accounts. No more installer issues on DisplayFusion or WWL program updates.

It does appear, however, that SP has a bug in it. It does not seem to be able to handle the condition that another program has set the database busy....for whatever reason, right or wrong. Instead of SP requesting a retry, SP crashes. NIS 2011 and I suspect NAV 2011 also has some type of issue/bug that is generating the condition...but that is something that the Symantec gurus need to work out.
Windows 8.1 Professional on Dell XPS 8700 SE, IE 11(only browser) with SSDs, hard drives, dual monitors, ASUS RT-AC68R router, cable modem; Microsoft Surface Pro 8 tablet.
siliconman01
Experienced user

Re: Norton Internet Security 2011 Causing SP V5.0.2.199 to Crash

Postby ondrej.novak » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi siliconman01,

many thanks for reporting this issue.

I will send it to our developers.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak