Can I separate items in an account?

Please post here questions and problems with filling forms and account details on websites.

Can I separate items in an account?

Postby charles_i » Tue May 14, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm getting read to go pro soon - having imported lots of passwords I've found that Sticky has put everything from one domain into a single Account. For example I have one account with 12 logins - this is a hosting company and I have my account, plus 2 others, plus several email logins but the root is all the same URL so Sticky has put them all together. I can't just change the name because that's one name for all 12 logins. I need to make 3 Accounts out of this. Is there any way to do this other than deleting 11 logins and then manually re-entering them as separate Accounts?

Thanks
Charles
charles_i
New user

Re: Can I separate items in an account?

Postby Evzen » Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 pm

Ummm... I guess you could try to play around with creating new account, linking a login from the 12-logins account to it and then breaking the link... which should, I think, result in making a copy of the originally linked login in the new account...
You could also export the 12-logins account to XML and then manually edit and re-arrange the XML to make it contain not 1, but 3 accounts with the 12 logins properly linked to the appropriate accounts... and then import the XML back.

But I think it's just too much hassle...
Exporting the account to TXT (for the purpose of having the logins data in a reasonable form) and then creating the 3 accounts manually by copying and pasting data from the TXT would be the easiest way, I guess.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Wed May 15, 2013 3:46 am

I don't think you're going to be able to break this into 3 groups unless the login URL can be differentiated for the 3 groups, otherwise Sticky wouldn't know which of the 3 groups to display logins for when you loaded the URL.

Have you considered using the "Description" field which is an alias for the user name. That way you can simplfy the login options Sticky offers... For example... "My Account", "My Email", "Work Email", and so on.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby ondrej.novak » Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 am

Is the URL of the login pages of all these logins the same? Or are there any differences in the URL? Then it would be possible to Tie the account to the specific URL.

Regrading the description of the Login, it´s available in the Edit account dialog.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby charles_i » Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 pm

I see what you mean - there are only 2 URLs - the company's home page with account login and the webmail page - unfortunately Description doesn't do anything (that I can tell) other than a visual aid. I might play with exporting just for fun if I have time.

Thanks
Charles
charles_i
New user

Postby ondrej.novak » Thu May 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi Charles,

yes, the login Description is just a visual feature. I´m not sure what else do you mean?

If there are 2 different URLs for these logins (even if the domain is the same), it will be possible to make 2 accounts for this website.

Could you please send me the URLs of these login pages? I will test it and send you exact steps how to handle it.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby charles_i » Thu May 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Here's a good example I came across this morning. I have several logins for google accounts - for instance google analytics for various clients, how do I create SEPARATE accounts for these since they are all "google.com"? I need to separate these according to clients and personal and be able to remove personal ones when a freelancer fills in for me at work.

Charles
charles_i
New user

Postby chaosxian » Thu May 16, 2013 7:36 pm

charles_i wrote:Here's a good example I came across this morning. I have several logins for google accounts - for instance google analytics for various clients, how do I create SEPARATE accounts for these since they are all "google.com"? I need to separate these according to clients and personal and be able to remove personal ones when a freelancer fills in for me at work.

Charles
I have 8 google logins. All are captured in a single entry I call "My Google Accounts". When I edit the Sticky entry I can add additional logins using "More/Add new Login" (I can also do this simply by logging a new account on the google page, and Sticky will offer to save it for me).
[NOTE: You should have the autologin feature unchecked for sites where you have mutiple logins]

I add the Description field to my 8 logins and enter a "user-friendly" name as a visual aid when logging in. You can also sequence the logins if you add numerical prefixes to the description field (otherwise Sticky will alphabetize the list).

If you want to keep Google Anaytics separate from your other Google apps (mail, for example), set your Sticky URL to:
http://www.google.com/analytics/
and set your Options to tie the Sticky account to "specific web page of the link above".
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby charles_i » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 pm

OK that makes sense but here's my last question about this and it will clear up why I wanted to separate them. I'm using Sticky at work and I have several logins that are for work and several for business. When I go on holiday I want to leave the business logins but temporarily remove my personal ones. I was hoping if I could designate that a Description such as "My Google" was different from "Google" I could remove all the "My" entries from XML or something temporarily. Is there another way to easily accomplish this?

Thanks
Charles
charles_i
New user

Postby chaosxian » Sat May 18, 2013 12:10 am

You could selectively export the database excluding your personal logins. Then with Sticky offline, move your default database file somewhere safe. When you restart Sticky, you'll be asked to create a new database. Then you can import the logins/passwords file you exported without your personal logins.

When you return from holiday... close Sticky, and replace the current default file with the one one you moved to a safe place (the one that contains your personal logins).

Hopefully the next version of Sticky will simplify the use of multiple database files.

That should do what you want.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby charles_i » Tue May 21, 2013 5:03 pm

OK great! I didn't realize I could selectively export items, but you're right the ability to run multiple databases would be very cool!

Thanks
Charles
charles_i
New user

Postby Evzen » Tue May 21, 2013 9:14 pm

chaosxian wrote:Hopefully the next version of Sticky will simplify the use of multiple database files.
It was mentioned earlier somewhere here in the forum that you can tell Sticky which database file to use using a command line parameter:
Code: Select all
stpass.exe /DB=D:\path\to\your\passwords\database.pws
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Wed May 22, 2013 12:29 pm

The KB article “How to switch between 2+ databases” might be useful.
URL: http://lamantine.helpserve.com/default_ ... -databases
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby charles_i » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:31 pm

This is a good solution but difficult to maintain. If you have multiple installations like this what happens when you go to a web page? Which installation will the browser Sticky button use - husband, wife, or both?

This is an interesting challenge for future releases, and a good every day scenario. I need to have my personal and business passwords useable for multiple web accounts when I'm at work - but when I'm not at work I need to remove my personal passwords and then re-use them when I return.

One of your "competitors" has a separate file or each password so all passwords that start with say, "personal" can easily be deleted from the password folder and replaced without having to deal with a single uneditable pws file.
charles_i
New user

Postby Evzen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:28 pm

charles_i wrote:This is a good solution but difficult to maintain. If you have multiple installations like this what happens when you go to a web page? Which installation will the browser Sticky button use - husband, wife, or both?
That one which YOU, the user, use. Sticky Button is only an 'entry point' to the database, which is opened by the user. If no DB is opened yet (i.e. Sticky is not running), it will use that DB, which was used last time - path to last DB is stored in registry.
charles_i wrote:This is an interesting challenge for future releases, and a good every day scenario. I need to have my personal and business passwords useable for multiple web accounts when I'm at work - but when I'm not at work I need to remove my personal passwords and then re-use them when I return.
No product is ideal. Different people have different needs. Every product has its user base...
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:42 pm

charles_i wrote:This is a good solution but difficult to maintain. If you have multiple installations like this what happens when you go to a web page? Which installation will the browser Sticky button use - husband, wife, or both?
I'm not sure you understood the methodology. When you log in, you open Sticky by clicking on the appropriate link ("husband", "wife", or "work"). When you change users or roles, you close Sticky and reopen it by clicking on the appropriate link.

For example... When I'm working and fire up my laptop, I click the "work" link to Sticky and have all my work passwords ready to go. When I'm home, login into my laptop and I click the "husband" link (for example).

If I need to switch databases... let's say I'm going to do some work at home, I then EXIT Sticky, and click the "work" link. When I'm through working, I again EXIT Sticky and select my "husband" link.

If a husband and wife have separate Windows logins, AFAIK, Sticky should keep those databases separately, respecting the account separation imposed by Windows.

Once you've set up the separate database links, Sticky is little different than how Keepass (for example) handles multiple password databases.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Return to Problems with websites