Internet Explorer 10 / Windows 7

Please post here problems with web browsers and applications.

Internet Explorer 10 / Windows 7

Postby John Flyer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Today's Windows Update offered me to install Internet Explorer 10 Release Preview (available for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)). Previously I had IE9. The virtual keyboard is not working with IE10 [10.0.9200.16521].

“About IE” does NOT show '64 bit'. Task manager has two processes: 'iexplore.exe' and 'iexplore.exe *32'.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Re: Internet Explorer 10 / Windows 7

Postby Evzen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Welcome to the IE10 hell...
IE10 does not show 64-bit because it is half-64bit... actually it IS running as 64-bit process - as you see in the task manager, there is one 64-bit iexplore.exe (let's call it an "envelope") which 'spawns' 32-bit iexplore.exe sub-processes for individual tabs.

And the problem is the 64-bit "envelope" - it simply is a 64-bit process... which pretty says everything else :-\.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks Evzen, I was afraid of some 64 bit crease.

I tried to remove IE10 through Control Panel > Programs and Features > Task pane > Turn Windows features on or off > Internet Explorer 10 > Warning message > Confirmed. I was not able to uninstall IE10 this way.

I then started Windows Update > Show update log > Installed Updates (in the heading) > Scroll down to IE10 > Right-click > Uninstall. After a reboot: IE9 is back, SP Virtual Keyboard is working again.

To be safe is it probably wise to ensure you have IE9 available. Find your version at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/inte ... -languages.

AVOID IE10 WHEN YOU UPDATE YOUR WINDOWS 7!! :twisted:
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm

John Flyer wrote:AVOID IE10 WHEN YOU UPDATE YOUR WINDOWS 7!! :twisted:
Isn't that a default expected behavior of any wise user of Windows?! ;)
Why would anyone WANT to update to IE10? What really useful would it bring me?

Oh, and why would anyone let Windows install updates automatically anyway?
I always let Windows only notify me about updates, but it is always ME who decides what and when will be installed!
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Evzen wrote:Oh, and why would anyone let Windows install updates automatically anyway?
I always let Windows only notify me about updates, but it is always ME who decides what and when will be installed!

Same to me; at this point I am as wise as you are.
Evzen wrote:Isn't that a default expected behavior of any wise user of Windows?! 
Why would anyone WANT to update to IE10? What really useful would it bring me?

At this point I was a little less wise. I trusted what Microsoft said - - > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte ... ownload-ie

So, I accepted the OFFER to update IE; nobody forced me. I am unable to judge in advance whether IE10 would bring me something useful. I am not visionary …

Hopefully this post might be useful to other users.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:38 pm

John Flyer wrote:So, I accepted the OFFER to update IE; nobody forced me. I am unable to judge in advance whether IE10 would bring me something useful. I am not visionary …
IE10 is around for several months already, you really didn't know about it until now? What planet did you come from? (just kidding ;) )

That's what virtual machines are good for - simply install and try anything you want without polluting your system.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:09 pm

You have a “special” attitude to other forum member, Evzen. In fact I did know that IE10 is a part of Windows 8 (which is not quite new anymore), but MS has not earlier offered Win7 users to upgrade to IE10 through the regular update.

Microsoft Article ID: 2718695 - Last Review: February 26, 2013 - Revision: 5.0 reads:
Internet Explorer 10 is now available for Windows 8 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Internet Explorer 10 helps you get content from the web faster and easier, and helps provide a web browsing experience that is safer than ever.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 am

First, you should not take everything too seriously... I said I was kidding, didn't I?
Second, I didn't say anything about Windows Update channel.
IE10 Release Preview for Windows 7 was publicly available since mid November 2012: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_10#Release_history (the installer is dated November 9) and there was quite a hype surrounding it, so I assume that people interested in computers should know about its existence 4 months later.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 pm

I think we are going off-topic now. If the PM service had been activated at this forum, I would prefer to send you a PM, Evzen. But you really hit the nail with “I assume that people interested in computers should know about its existence 4 months later.” I am not 'interested in computers'; I am interested in “the USE of computers”.

IE10 is not new, the news is that IE10 is offered as an optional 'update' to some Win7 users (MS13-021: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer: March 12, 2013).

The theme of this topic is: IE10 runs in a mixed 32/64 bit mode. Be careful when you run Windows Update. Sticky Password will eventually stop to work. I you regret the 'upgrade', the topic has advices about how to revert to your previous version of IE.

@ Evzen, due to your forum history, my advice is: Focus on the ball, not the player.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

John Flyer wrote:The theme of this topic is: IE10 runs in a mixed 32/64 bit mode. Be careful when you run Windows Update. Sticky Password will eventually stop to work.

This statement is incorrect. Sticky Password will NOT stop working. Sticky Password does work with IE10 on 64-bit system - it is still able to create accounts, fill loggins, etc. (which is its main purpose).
Yes, some particular features may not work due to the technical conditions mentioned earlier in this thread.
But Sticky Password as such still DOES work.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Evzen wrote:This statement is incorrect. Sticky Password will NOT stop working.

You are right, Evzen. It was a mistyping. The correct statement is: Sticky Password Virtual Keyboard will eventually stop to work. (As I wrote in my initial post).

Thank you for guarding Sticky Password.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Return to Problems with web browsers and applications