Chrome Canary install

Please post here problems with web browsers and applications.

Chrome Canary install

Postby chaosxian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:19 pm

My SP install didn't recognize Chrome (Canary) so I pointed the "supported browser" listing (under Settings) of Chrome to its installed executable. When the installer ran I got the "error installing autofill plug-in" popup window. After doing this Chrome appears in the "Installed" browser grouping, but it's status is "Not installed".

I went into the Chrome folders and found that the extension installed into an incorrect folder tree. At first I just copied the extension folders over to the correct Extensions folder, but neither Chrome nor Stick Password liked that. So I deleted the copied folders/files.

Next I manually installed the SP Chrome extension. Chrome accepted the extension, and the SP icon appeared on the toolbar. Chrome lists the SP extension as installed, and its autofill engine is "running"... BUT there is no live connection to the app and in SP settings Chrome still appears in the "Installed" browser grouping, but it's status is "Not installed".

How do I get the extension to link with my installed SP, and how do I fix the appearance of the Chrome browser status under approved browsers listing to "Installed"?

Thanks!
chaosxian
Experienced user

Re: Chrome Canary install

Postby Evzen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Looks like Sticky doesn't support Chrome Canary, so you're out of luck...

I had no problems with Beta and even Dev builds of Chrome, so if you give up Canary, it will work.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:26 pm

I don't think it is a compatibility issue. The problem seems to lie in the install path... Even though I show SP where "chrome.exe" resides, SP installs the extension to:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
instead of
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\User Data\Default\Extensions

If I could figure out how to overcome that, I'm confident all would be well.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 pm

That's what I'm talking about - it looks like SP is simply not ready to work together with "non-standard" Chrome.
The decision, whether it's worth to keep investigating (with unsure result) and trying to force SP to work with Canary, or simply switch from Canary to "normal" Chrome, I'll leave up to you...
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 pm

OK... I got it running in Canary... With Chrome closed I changed the Canary folder name, replacing "Chrome SxS" with "Chrome". SP obligingly installed the Chrome extension, and offered to disable Chrome's password auto-fill (I accepted).

I then restored the Chrome folder name as it was originally and fired up Chrome Canary. The SP icon appeared on the toolbar, and when I went to my local banking site, SP fed in the login credentials automagically.

With that out of the way, I am thrilled w/Sticky, and I am well pleased switching from Password Depot. :mrgreen:
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:46 am

Nice work!
This means that SP uses some hardcoded path instead of detecting the real path...

Just out of interest - what is so funny about Canary that you need so much?
The current Canary build is 28.0.1466.0 and the current Dev build is 28.0.1464.0 - is the difference really worth the chance of incompatibility issues?
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 am

That's interesting... I never compared the two. Maybe it's the thrill of experiencing crippling bugs that the dev release wont see... Or the yellow icon look better than the blue... IDK :lol:

One thing I didn't care for was the lack of an autodater... I don't have time to track down the releases, and for a while, the repos kept changing, and I wasted too much time looking for a new one... is autoupdating now available in the dev release? BTW, I just got 1466 notification minutes ago...
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 am

Just subscribe the RSS channel at http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/ and you'll get notifications about all Release, Beta and Dev updates.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks — I add that link to my Feedly... FWIW, I switched to Chrome dev after my SP canary extension broke on reboot. I also reinstalled Sticky because somewhere in my failed extension attempts I corrupted the SP extension dropdown menu with some extra nonsensical entries and I couldn't figure out how delete them.

Now I have Chrome (dev) and Firefox both connected and working :!:
chaosxian
Experienced user

Return to Problems with web browsers and applications