[Feature Req.] Right-click to edit login from browser icon

If you have any ideas how we can improve Sticky Password, ideas for new features etc. post it here.

[Feature Req.] Right-click to edit login from browser icon

Postby chooquette » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi there,

I use Roboform and find that they have a swell feature allowing editing a specific passcard or login from the web browser button (with a right-click on this item). Would that be possible to implement in Sticky Password?
chooquette
New user

Re: [Feature Req.] Right-click to edit login from browser ic

Postby John Flyer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:41 pm

What is wrong with the 'LEFT-click to edit login from browser icon'? :?: :?:
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby chooquette » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm

I meant that for website that has multiple passcards/logins, I think a right-click on the specific one is much quicker than doing in multiple steps: Edit account, then drop-down menu in the GUI interface. It would be quicker to do a right-click from the start from the drop-down menu in the browser's that would open directly Sticky's Password's GUI to edit this specific login item.
chooquette
New user

Postby John Flyer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am

Sorry, I feel a bit slow. Why do you have to select 'Edit account'?
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby chooquette » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 pm

For some accounts, I have errors from the importing process or from a problem with the original data imported from Roboform/LastPass, so I need to do a remediation to have a successful login with Sticky Password.

For instance, with Roboform, to edit a login (they call it passcard) including with multiple passcards/logins for a single website/account, one would need just to fly-over the passcard button (without any clicking to do, a drop down menu with all logins will present itself for selection), do a right-click Edit on the culprit and the program's GUI will open for editing. It's a total of two clicks to edit a login.

With Sticky Password for multiple logins account, from what I can gather, one has to click on S/P's browser icon, then on Edit Account and finally in the GUI's program go through drop-down menu to select the correct login. That's a 3-click process and a bit more tedious in the way the mouse has to navigate.

I hope my explanation for request is clearer now. I really like Sticky Password and hope my suggestions don't come across negatively in any way. I just would like to make S/P friendlier to use.
chooquette
New user

Postby Evzen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Ehm, wouldn't it be more logical to request fixing the ROOT CAUSE of the problems (i.e. the import) instead of the consequence?!

What kind of "errors from the importing process or from a problem with the original data imported from Roboform/LastPass" are we talking about?

Editing the account is definitely not considered as a frequently- or mass-used action, so there is no real need to make it sooo easily accessible as you wish... especially if you request it just because of the small inconvenience in YOUR PARTICULAR situation.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chooquette » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:16 pm

It's just a request to make the GUI more user friendly. Should I have asked myself if this request would be massively used? I'm no programmer but I believe this feature could be implemented without too much trouble. I find that a right-click on login(s) (not Account) is something quite useful instead of having to navigate some between menu and GUI and other menus to get to it.

I had problems importing my data from Roboform 6 (Firefox 19/Win7 64-bit/no Java) with the perpetual message "No Unprotected Passwords Were Found", despite having followed Sticky Password's FAQ and tutorial to the letter. I then exported my data to LastPass and import them into S/P. I don't want to do it all over again even for the fun of it.

Fixing root-cause: I can't go through all my logins to look for problems. I fix them as they come. I just thought that I would voice my suggestions and that S/P would welcome them. It seems that I may be wrong here. Isn't that the purpose of "Suggestions and Feature Requests" forum? An opportunity to open a discussion and not throwing back a problem at the customer/user whatever needs they may have?
chooquette
New user

Postby Evzen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:41 pm

You can surely suggest/request whatever you want...

There is no real point continuing in this discussion as we have apparently completely different attitude to problems - while you seem to shoot out ideas as they come without thinking too deep about their relationship, I on the contrary tend to analyze the problem first, try to understand it in details, get to the root of it and then suggest something that cures the real cause of the problem.

Did you try to save your Roboform passcards to file and import to Sticky from file? Or did you follow only ONE of the ways to import which is described in the FAQ and tutorial?

And what kind of problems do you "fix as they come"? I still don't understand what kind of errors in your accounts you need to fix manually. Are there logins missing? Or passwords? Or are there some corrupted/missing characters or what?
I still believe that fixing an eventual problem here (i.e. making the Edit Account option less necessary to use!) would be more beneficial to other users than making the Edit Account option faster accessible in the menu.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chooquette » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Why not both?

I tried to import also using the .html file from a save in the Print list of Roboform but still was unsuccessful therefore went with the LastPass route.

For the moment I have not encountered any more logins I have to fix so nothing comes to mind immediately as an example. I just made this suggestion because coming from Roboform, I sorely missed this feature in Sticky Password.

Anyhow, I understand that my suggestions are not welcomed therefore will consider this subject closed.
chooquette
New user

Postby Evzen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 pm

chooquette wrote:Anyhow, I understand that my suggestions are not welcomed

Come on... why do you think that?
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chooquette » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Evzen wrote:
chooquette wrote:Anyhow, I understand that my suggestions are not welcomed

Come on... why do you think that?

I feel that these comments don't very much convey the spirit of a positive conversation:
Evzen wrote:Ehm, wouldn't it be more logical to request fixing the ROOT CAUSE of the problems (i.e. the import) instead of the consequence?!

What kind of "errors from the importing process or from a problem with the original data imported from Roboform/LastPass" are we talking about?

Editing the account is definitely not considered as a frequently- or mass-used action, so there is no real need to make it sooo easily accessible as you wish... especially if you request it just because of the small inconvenience in YOUR PARTICULAR situation.

Evzen wrote:There is no real point continuing in this discussion as we have apparently completely different attitude to problems - while you seem to shoot out ideas as they come without thinking too deep about their relationship, I on the contrary tend to analyze the problem first, try to understand it in details, get to the root of it and then suggest something that cures the real cause of the problem.

I don't want to inflame or cause trouble so I would like, if you don't mind, to stop discussing about this matter.
chooquette
New user

Postby John Flyer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 pm

I find it useful that applications that are important to me, have an active user forum. To read about other users' issues and their suggestions are an effective way to learn to manage the app. When the app team is following the user forum, like the SP team does, the users may contribute to the development of the product.

Over many years in business, I have participated in several brain storming sessions. When a new idea is raised, it is an invariable rule that you never are allowed to utter “That does not work”, “That idea is stupid”. Every suggestion should be taken care off, in the next phase we have to analyze existing issues, try to understand new ideas in details, and end up with a nice and balanced solution. While discussion is ongoing, we participate with a polite and humble tone.

Any suggestions are welcome, chooquette. Do not expect that we always agree with you, different opinions are permitted! It might always be useful to know other users' perception; I have learned a lot that way.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby chooquette » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi John,

John Flyer wrote:I find it useful that applications that are important to me, have an active user forum. To read about other users' issues and their suggestions are an effective way to learn to manage the app. When the app team is following the user forum, like the SP team does, the users may contribute to the development of the product.

Indeed that's what I was hoping for when I registered to this forum.

Over many years in business, I have participated in several brain storming sessions. When a new idea is raised, it is an invariable rule that you never are allowed to utter “That does not work”, “That idea is stupid”. Every suggestion should be taken care off, in the next phase we have to analyze existing issues, try to understand new ideas in details, and end up with a nice and balanced solution. While discussion is ongoing, we participate with a polite and humble tone.

So have I. It takes lots of efforts stay open-minded to new ideas, as odd or foolish, as they may seem. Different people have different needs. The mind's resistance to change is something nobody is proud to admit to. I admire software developers a lot because they have to accept new ideas and suggestions all the time. It's quite a feat to sustain to have one's work continuously challenged for change.

Any suggestions are welcome, chooquette. Do not expect that we always agree with you, different opinions are permitted! It might always be useful to know other users' perception; I have learned a lot that way.

I would be extremely naive to believe that any suggestion would be accepted and implemented right away. A forum is a great place to discuss and throw ideas back and forth about their usefulness. In this instance, I humbly believe that a right-click to edit directly a login among multiple logins of an account is something that could be quite useful but looking for the root cause of importing problems is a lengthy process that should not be a user's job in the first place. In truth, both options merit consideration to be thorough.

As a user migrating from Roboform and LastPass, I think I probably have different expectations than if I had started first with Sticky Password. I find that changing for another password management program can be somewhat stressful. My suggestion was aiming to make the program friendlier and easier to use and does not imply anything else as to the quality of Sticky Password's programming, on the contrary.
chooquette
New user

Postby Evzen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:26 pm

chooquette wrote:In this instance, I humbly believe that a right-click to edit directly a login among multiple logins of an account is something that could be quite useful
Yes, that's true and I never said that it wouldn't. All I said was that editing a login is not an action which is expected to be done frequently, so I would not expect THIS improvement to get any high priority in the development process...
chooquette wrote:looking for the root cause of importing problems is a lengthy process that should not be a user's job in the first place.
Not quite right... If the user seems to be the only one having some problems, then I would expect the user to look up what the problem can be... Especially if the user claims how dedicated (s)he is to give improvement ideas, etc.
Plus, who else should at least try to look for the cause of the problem than the one on who's computer the problem happened? How do you imagine the developers should look for the cause of the problem if they simply can't reproduce it?
chooquette wrote:My suggestion was aiming to make the program friendlier and easier to use
I'm pretty sure that Sticky Password team had noted your suggestion. Let's see if it gets implemented in some future version or not.
Evzen
Experienced user

Return to Suggestions and Feature Requests