Using Sticky Password with a network drive

Using Sticky Password with a network drive

Postby ferple » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Hello, I have a three user licence for Sticky Password and I want to share my password file across my three computers. To do this, I store my password file on a network drive. This works fine when I'm working from my office and all computers are on the network - all computers can use the file OK.

However, two of the computers are laptops so I obviously take them away from the office when I visit customers. When I run Sticky Password when the computer is off the network, I get prompted that Sticky Password cannot open the password file - fair enough.

However, what would be a great feature is if Sticky Password could cache a 'local' copy of the file - or temporarily use the local backup file that is on each PC - until I connected to the network again, when it could revert to the network drive password file.

Any thoughts on this? ;)

Alternatively, storing the password file in the cloud would be good! 8-)

Love the product, thanks for the hard work.

p.s Sorry I guess this should be in the 'Feature Requests' forum - feel free to move it.
ferple

Re: Using Sticky Password with a network drive

Postby gan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:58 pm

There been some people requesting online storage of the password database that will make it easy to share among several computers. I'm sure Sticky Password also consider to implement such a feature.

But until such a feature is available (if it will be implemented) there might other options. If your office have a Windows file server you could map a network drive to a share located on the server. Do the same on all three computers. Then you could under "Computer" on the client machines rightclick that mapped drive and select "Always available offline". Then you should use a password database file located under mapped drive. That way it should always be available on all three computers even with no access to the server at work and when you return to the office the changes you made while offline should sync back to the server.

I never tried this for sticky password since i only have one license and the other computer is a Mac anyway, but used the "Always available offline" option so i can access other stuff while offline and find it to work pretty good. For Windows XP it should work, but find this feature to work better using Vista/Win 7. If the server at work is something else beside a Windows server (like linux) i don't know if this feature will work or not since i never tried that.

Just a suggestion that might solve this problem even if a feature in the application to solve this might be a better solution.

gan
gan
New user

Postby ferple » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Excellent, thank you gan - I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try.
ferple

Postby petr.pinkas » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi,

if you want to distribute the Sticky Password database through network or for example Dropbox, you need to have Sticky Password closed, since when it is opened, you can't do anything with the default.pws file - the database.

However, the cloud solution as Gan says in our near-term plans, so stay tuned about our news.

I never tried this for sticky password since i only have one license and the other computer is a Mac anyway
- also stay tuned, Mac version is in our near-term plans too and with multiple platforms goes cloud sync solution hand in hand :)
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Re: Using Sticky Password on Linux Platform

Postby alalamo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:10 pm

As a long time user of Sticky password in Windows, I was sorry to hear that implementation of Sticky password on the Linux platform is not something that is in the near future. I am fed up with Windows, and have started the process of weaning myself off the platform and it's applications. Sticky password however, is an application that I really want to continue to use, and do not desire to look for an alternative.

I believe that if Lamantine Software looked at the rapid adaptation of the Linux platform, and the increasing market share, it would find that it is just good business. In the past Lamantine Software has been very responsive to it's users, I am hoping that it can re-consider it's plans for Linux platform implementation.
alalamo

Postby petr.pinkas » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:26 am

Hello, thanks for the feedback. Well as for rapid adaptation of the Linux platform - it has still so small market share, that it is not worth implementing for us prior to our other plans - mobile versions, online synchronization and others. However we keep looking at new trends and will try to keep up with new platforms.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Return to Sticky Password PRO 5