Password generator question

Please post here questions and problems with upgrading or updating Sticky Password.

Password generator question

Postby malcarada » Fri May 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Since the upgrade I noticed that the new password generator does not have a checkbox that you can tick to see the password that has been generated, is there a way to reverse this somewhere in the settings?

I also see a number (4.99) written right after the "Password length" indicator, could you please explain what that means?

Many thanks
My personal blog: http://www.wipeyourdata.com
malcarada
New user

Re: Password generator question

Postby ondrej.novak » Fri May 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi,

the Password Generator offers an "eye" symbol in the password field which allows you to check your password.

The text (4..99) mean that you can create a password from 4 to 99 characters.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby michalangelo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 am

What is the position of password generated passwords if there is a disc failure,and no back up media with sticky passwords/passwords copied to it. As they are encrpted and invisable unless de-encrypted and copied to a file in which case there would be a security vulnerablity from hackers?

Suppose this is where a USB portable copy comes into strength,which can be used with another stickypassword copy on another machine. Yes?
michalangelo
New user

Postby petr.pinkas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:39 am

Do you mean where is the history of generated passwords stored?
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby michalangelo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:34 pm

I was asking in relation to accessing accounts on another machine having copied passwords using the notepad and pasted them to a file outside stickypasswords. In the event of a system failure wiping stickypassword I could still use my accounts from the back up copy.

However I asked if that was really the purpose of using the portable version as a security backup ready to port to any other machine.

How does one access the portable version anyway?

Thank you Petr
michalangelo
New user

Postby John Flyer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 pm

To install the portable version:
Insert an USB stick > open SP > in upper left corner, open the drop down menu > select Tools, Portable Passwords and follow the step-by-step instructions to install & syncronize the databases.

To access the portable version on another computer:
Insert the USB stick > Use Explorer (or another file browser) to navigate to the USB stick (with a SP logo!). Click on Sticky Password.exe in the root of the stick.

[The portable solution is another reason why I prefer SP instead of the Identity Safe in Norton Internet Security; this feature suite my needs well.]
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby petr.pinkas » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

Sticky Password Portable is just a regular desktop application which you are used to operate, but on a USB, so you can carry your passwords with you anywhere securely. Do not copy any passwords to unprotected files like Notepad ever! That is very insecure and all your passwords are vulnerable.
History of generated passwords is not ported to the portable version however, we will discuss this within our team.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Return to Upgrade, update problems