Sync between multiple copies

Sync between multiple copies

Postby Number9 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Hello,

I have three licenses of Sticky Password Pro 6. My normal course of action to sync between machines is to use my flash drive and create a flash drive version of Sticky Password which merges the databases. I then take my flash drive to a different machine and create a flash drive version from that machine. The issue I am having is that when I do this, Sticky Password attempt to merge the two databases, but the outcome is not correct.

For example, I have a one secure memo that I can never get rid of. I delete it from laptop 1 and create a flash version of Sticky Password. I then take the flash version to another machine, laptop 2. When I create the flash version from laptop 2, the secure memo that I had deleted is put back on the flash drive because it on laptop 2. Does that make sense? :(

Another test is very similar. I have a secure note on my laptop and the same secure on my flash driver. I delete the secure memo from my laptop. I then have Sticky Password sync my stuff from my laptop to the flash drive. Then the syncing has completed, the secure memo is back on my laptop! :(

Am I syncing between multiple machines correctly or is there a better way :?:
Last edited by Number9 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Number9
New user

Re: Sync between multiple copies

Postby Number9 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Okay, I thought that this syncing issue only effected secure memo, but I have also seeing this with web accounts as well.

I created a web account on my laptop. Synced my laptop with my flash drive. I then deleted the web account on my laptop. I then synced my laptop with my flash drive again. When I open the flash drive version of Sticky Password, I see the deleted web account :( When I open the laptop version of Sticky Password, I see the deleted web account again?

Is syncing really working correctly when a secure memo or web account is deleted? There does not seem to be a way to delete a secure memo or web account and have it stay deleted...
Number9
New user

Postby ondrej.novak » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi,

could you please send me a step by step description how you process this operation?

Do you launch Sticky Password from the desktop or from the Portable Version?

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby Number9 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi,

I launch Sticky Password from the desktop...

Scenario one: Unable to permanently delete a secure memo...
Step 1: Create secure memo on Laptop.
Step 2: Sync Laptop to Flash Drive using the "Portable Passwords" function. When asked, use "merge two databases" option.
Step 3: Delete secure memo on Laptop.
Step 4: Sync Laptop to Flash Drive using the "Portable Passwords" function. When asked, use "merge two databases" option.
Secure memo that was deleted is now back on the Laptop.

Am I syncing incorrectly? I really do not want to use the option of "Use Password Database from Desktop" or "Use Password Database from Portable version" because I may have changes in the Portable version that I got from another computer I synced with...

Thanks,
Number9
New user

Postby ondrej.novak » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi,

It depends from which installation do you start the merge process (desktop or USB):

The main logic is that the accounts from the opened database are imported and synced into the closed one.

1) Unlocked desktop version

- you can select which accounts from the desktop database would you like to sync with the USB version

- Result = (all items from the USB database) + (selected items from the desktop database)

- Merge operation conflict – login:
- Existing login is from the USB database
- Importing login is from the desktop database
- Login from the USB database gets new name “originalName (1)” when “Create new login…” is clicked

- Merge operation conflict – account
- Existing account is from the USB database
- Importing account is from the desktop database

2) Unlocked USB version

- you can select which accounts from the USB database would you like to sync with the desktop version

- Result = (all items from the desktop database) + (selected items from the USB database)

- Merge operation conflict – login:
- Existing login is from the desktop database
- Importing login is from the USB database
- Login from the desktop database gets new name “originalName (1)” when “Create new login…” is clicked

- Merge operation conflict – account
- Existing account is from the desktop database
- Importing account is from the USB database
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Return to Sticky Password PRO