Easily switch between multiple password databases

Easily switch between multiple password databases

Postby ncumbie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 am

It would be great to be able to setup two password databases; one for my personal stuff that only I know the master password (my email, my Facebook account) and another for common stuff that both me and my wife need to know (restaurant and shopping accounts, etc). So I imagine there being three password databases between us: My Personal, Wife's Personal, and Common. You would need to be able to quickly change which database you're viewing on the fly. I know that you can point SP to a different database, but it's a pain.
ncumbie
New user

Re: Easily switch between multiple password databases

Postby petr.pinkas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 am

You can use just groups, there is no need to have multiple databases I think. We are thinking about creating version fo Small Businesses, where it is useful as they have multiple users and one database, so switching between personal and company database should be easy and quick, but for Home use, you can just create groups in one database, right?
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby ncumbie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:00 am

But I don't want to know my wife's email and Facebook password and she doesn't want to know mine, yet practically every other account we both want to be able to have access to. So I have some accounts I want to keep private, some my wife wants to keep private and a bunch that we want to share.
ncumbie
New user

Postby petr.pinkas » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:18 am

Well this feature needs to be implemented, so please stay tuned for this. Thanks
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Postby rs904c » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am

If I understand your question, you would like to use two or more sticky password databases, and be able to switch between them easily. I asked for this years ago in sticky password. I believe I put in a feature request for this to be done via the command line, and they did it. Last time I checked, I didn't see this feature documented anywhere in the help, though. Support, If you are reading this, I think it would be good to document this so more people know about it.

So, let me explain how to do this in an example.

For this example, let me make up some information (change for your situation):
--Lets say you have 3 sticky password databases called: shared.pws, husband.pws, wife.pws
--Lets say they are in the following directory: C:\#important\stickypassword-data\
--Lets say sticky password is installed in the following directory: C:\apps\Sticky Password\

Instructions:
#1. Make a new shortcut to the sticky password executable (stpass.exe), and rename the shortcut to something like "Sticky password wife".

#2. Right click on the new shortcut and choose properties.

#3. Change the target to read like the following:
"C:\apps\Sticky Password\stpass.exe" /DB:"C:\#important\stickypassword-data\wife.pws"

#4. Click on the OK button.

#5. Copy the new shortcut, rename it to "Sticky password husband". Do #2. Then change the new shortcut's target to:
"C:\apps\Sticky Password\stpass.exe" /DB:"C:\#important\stickypassword-data\husband.pws". Do #4.

#6. Copy the new shortcut, rename it to "Sticky password shared". Do #2. Then change the new shortcut's target to:
"C:\apps\Sticky Password\stpass.exe" /DB:"C:\#important\stickypassword-data\shared.pws" Do #4.

Important: Make sure to exit sticky password completely, by right clicking on the system tray icon and choosing exit, before switching to the new database. Otherwise, you won't switch to the new database.

I use this all the time to switch between my databases.

Enjoy.
-Robert B. Harris from VA
rs904c

Postby petr.pinkas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 am

Wow, thanks Robert! Nice solution and idea.
Petr Pinkas
Sticky Password Team

petr.pinkas
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions and Feature Requests