Caption Button not working Version 6.0.7.436

Caption Button not working Version 6.0.7.436

Postby cchahin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Today I updated my Sticky Password Pro to the new version 6.0.7.436 and I immediately noticed that the program installed the Caption Button as an Explorer Toolbar add-in. I don't like this because it takes 1 line of space from my explorer page view. The Caption Button is still an option on the setting menu BUT I think is because they forgot to delete this option. Caption Button setting is doing nothing there.

I personally prefer the older way with Caption Button. If something is not broken there is need to be fixed.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks and regards,
cchahin

Re: Caption Button not working Version 6.0.7.436

Postby DrDon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:05 pm

I have to agree. My company is uber protective about their computer systems. Therefore I can't install an add-in for a tool bar. In the previous version, the Caption button showed on the Header bar near the Minimize-Maximize-Close buttons. I have selected to “Install Caption Button” but I do not have privilege to do so. Is there another option short of cut and paste?

Thank you for such a great product. I’d be lost without it. :oops:

Don
DrDon

Postby -Hannes- » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm

The add-on for the toolbar is really not a good solution. With Version 6.0.6.429 the toolbar was NOT automatically installed and it was possible to fill username and Password with the shortcut (STRG+ALT+A).

But with Version 6.0.7.436 the toolbar is installed automatically. And with deactivated toolbar the shortcut does not work. I can live with the shortcut, but the add-on solution is a no-no for me.

I love Sticky Password, but without the add-on... ;-)

Thank's a lot
Hannes
-Hannes-
New user

Postby John Flyer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 am

I was expecting a reply from the SP team to this question, in the meantime I put in my 2 cents: I imagine that Windows 8/IE 10 is the “culprit”. The changelog for build 6.0.6.434 tells: “- implemented toolbar for all supported versions of Internet Explorer – it is a workaround to resolve an issue with IE10 running on 64-bit OS where it is not possible to integrate via Caption Button”.

I have not cared about the toolbar; I very rarely use IE, I prefer Chrome or Firefox (with a toolbar!), and additionally I also use another toolbar. These two toolbars use the same line, I do not feel I have lost space on my screen.

@-Hannes-: You said that Ctrl-Alt-A does not work in 6.0.7.436 when the toolbar is disabled. I tried with IE9, disabled the toolbar, pressed the hotkeys, but they worked. Have I misunderstood something?
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby -Hannes- » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:25 pm

John Flyer wrote:...
@-Hannes-: You said that Ctrl-Alt-A does not work in 6.0.7.436 when the toolbar is disabled. I tried with IE9, disabled the toolbar, pressed the hotkeys, but they worked. Have I misunderstood something?

If I press Ctrl-Alt-A then Sticky Password 6.0.7.436 only copy the password into the clipboard, but does not fill in username and password in the form. With version 6.0.6.434 that worked (filling in user/pwd).
-Hannes-
New user

Postby John Flyer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 pm

@-Hannes: After rebooting my computer with the toolbar disabled in IE9, I succeeded to recreate the faulty behavior you mentioned. Ctrl-Alt-A gave me the message with the option “Temporarily copy password to clipboard”. The pw was correctly copied and pasted into the pw field IF THE OPTION “Ask before pasting password from clipboard “ WAS UNchecked.

If the option was CHECKED, the text [Sticky Password Protector] was copied into the clipboard.
Obviously there is some debris in the gears. Or it is “by design” (when you disable the toolbar)?

Addendum: When you disable/enable the toolbar, you do not have to reboot. It is sufficient to Exit SP and restart the app to notice the difference.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Re: Caption Button not working Version 6.0.7.436 & 6.0.8.437

Postby H_Marx » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Just "upgraded" from version 5 to version 6.0.8.437 via today's generous Giveaway Of The Day offer.

Confirming that on my XP SP3 MCE system, the Caption Button is no longer appearing where it used to just to the left of the right-corner trio of minimize-maximize-close buttons for the IE8 broswer window frame title border.

Instead the “Caption Button” is appearing to the right of the Menu Bar (File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help). In this location the settings menu option to move the button to the left makes no sense.

I left a comment to that effect on the GOTD website: http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/sticky-password-6-0/

I got used to and liked its previous more-obvious-and-accessible location, away from the other clutter within the IE window.

Otherwise, I think it's working OK, but I hope the developer can restore the prior functionality, preferably today in time for an update while the free offer is still in force as I'm sure it will affect many people using the Internet Explorer browser.
H_Marx

Postby John Flyer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm

H_Marx wrote:..the Caption Button is no longer appearing where it used to just to the left of the right-corner trio of minimize-maximize-close buttons for the IE8 broswer window frame title border.

I think the reason can be found in the changelog for build 6.0.6.434: “- implemented toolbar for all supported versions of Internet Explorer – it is a workaround to resolve an issue with IE10 running on 64-bit OS where it is not possible to integrate via Caption Button”.

Does it really matter that the caption button is moved one line downwards? I am sure you will get used to the new toolbar. I think this is a common way to activate several pw managers today. I attach an image to show how 3 pw managers appear in 3 different browsers.
VariousBrowsers.jpg

It is not wise to have several apps to perform the same task; the images are from a test sequence. I have now uninstalled LastPass and I usually disable Identity Safe in Norton. I do not remember how Roboform appeared in the browser; it is uninstalled now. I have previously used KeePass; I was satisfied with it's performance until I learned to know Sticky PW as a part of Kaspersky's suite PURE. After testing Roboform, Lastpass and Norton's Identity Safe, my choice was simple. Stick with Sticky!
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby ondrej.novak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to inform you, that the we placing the Caption Button to the new toolbar in IE was a quick solution to keep compatibility with the latest versions of IE especially on 64bit systems.

Our developers are currently working on it and in the next maintenance release the Caption Button should be located back in the caption bar of IE. The toolbar will be necessary probably only in IE 10 on 64bit systems.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Return to Sticky Password PRO