App Account log-in to TrueCrypt – No success

App Account log-in to TrueCrypt – No success

Postby John Flyer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm

I have several encrypted file containers. I have struggled a lot, but have not succeeded to automate the open/log-in process.

I have used default file extension (.tc) for the containers, and I have tried an uncommon extension like .sde (I prefer to use an extension not tied to any installed program.) I have tried to use the 'Define settings manually' feature without success.
TC 2 Manual SignIn.jpg

Some times the file name is correctly entered into to TrueCrypt window, the 'Mount' button is pressed and the password windows appears. In the SP balloon I have to click on 'Temporarily copy pw to clipboard' and than paste the pw into the appropriate field.
TC Success Screen 02.jpg
TC Success Screen 02.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

In most cases TrueCrypt is opened but no file name is transferred. Sometimes the SP balloon picks the password from an incorrect TC account in SP (I have now several TC accounts). Most of the accounts have two options for 'Tie Account to': application/particular window. One of my accounts has four options, “window caption/application and caption” are the extras.

What is the meaning of 'Tie Account to'?

Env: Win7 x64 / SP 6.0.7.436
John Flyer
Experienced user

Re: App Account log-in to TrueCrypt – No success

Postby John Flyer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Nobody has – so far – been able to give me a solution. May be two login pages is not possible with SP?

Summary: I have three True Crypt containers. If I use the default file extension (.tc) it is uncomplicated to enter 3 records into the SP Web Account database. The correct file is opened, but the password (to be filled in on page 2) has to be copied to the clipboard. SP offers so, but it always fetches the pw for the same container, not the correct one.

If I use non-standard file extension for the container, SP does not understand a link like “container.sde”, but reports system error 1155 (No program assigned to this extension). True Crypt allows me to start the program with the container file as a parameter:
“<full-path-of-TrueCrypt.exe> <full-path-of-Container.sde>”. I have entered this command line as the URL in SP, it works, the correct container is opened. If I use this solution for the second container, SP reports “Account link conflict”. Somehow I at last succeeded to have two records with this method, but SP will not repeat this for container #3.

I tried another method: I created three command files with the appropriate “<full-path-of-TrueCrypt.exe> <full-path-of-Container.sde>”. Then the correct container is opened by SP, but I am still unable to put the correct password into page 2.
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby aleksandr.voloshko » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Sticky Password work with TrueCrypt for me. But we have one problem with the first run of TrueCrypt.
I used Sticky Password 6.0.8.437 and TrueCrypt 7.1a.

I'll try to describe how I linked SP to TrueCrypt.

1. I've added TrueCrypt files with .tc extension.
2. Ran one of them and pressed Mount button.
3. When Enter password dialog appeared I pressed SP Caption Button, chose Add account and added an account.
Note, I didn't use Manual Edit Fields form.
4. Repeated step 2 with another file.
5. When Enter password dialog appeared I pressed SP Caption Button, chose Add login and added a new login.

Now, when I open any of these files SP, press Mount button, and TrueCrypt opens Enter password dialog, SP opens list of the logins.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (93.74 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

I choose any of them and SP fills the password field correctly.

If I run TrueCrypt the first time after restart of computer, SP wrongly fills the password. But when press OK on the Incorrect password dialog SP offers to choose the login. We will analyse this issue.
aleksandr.voloshko
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks for this valuable guidance. Obviously I have not paid sufficient attention to the caption button in the TC pw-dialog. Your solution works well also when I have a non-standard file extension for my containers.

The weakness with this method is that the container name is not transferred from SP to TC. I have to manually select the file, TC starts with the users document and settings folder. I need several mouse clicks to navigate to the container file before I can press 'Mount'. My wish is that SP automatically opened the desired container after having selected the login from the launch button. But after studying TrueCrypt a bit, I found the Favorite option in TC resolved my “problem”.

Now I need 4 mouse clicks to open the first container from SP's 'Launch' button. The next container needs only 2 mouse clicks (TC Favorites-Container name, SP Login menu-Login name).
CaptBtn_02_Favorites.jpg
CaptBtn_02_Favorites.jpg (54.6 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

I am very pleased with this procedure. With a strong pw to open SP, 25 characters SP generated pws for the containers and SP db automatically locked after 1 min of inactivity, I feel that my encrypted containers are well secured.

Thanks for a great product and excellent support (both at lamantine.helpserve.com and here in the forum).
John Flyer
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:46 pm

FWIW, if there is a possibility to specify the container as a command line parameter when launching TC, it could be a way to save the clicks...

Plus, I believe that by having the account tied to "window caption" (or "application and caption") - which says the path to a particular container - you can also save the selection of "available logins" since there will be no choice, but only the one particular login for the very container.
(Huh, I don't know if my English is clear enough here...)
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby John Flyer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Yes, TrueCrypt accepts the container name as a command line parameter. This option does only work in SP with one single container. If I try with a second file, SP announces “Account link conflict”. Unfortunately SP does not distinguish between “TrueCrypt.exe Container1.tc” and “TrueCrypt.exe Container2.tc”.

I have not quite understood the 'Tie Account to' feature. The first TC screen always has the caption “TrueCrypt”, the command line parameter is put into a field in the first screen.

My “favorite solution” based on aleksandr.voloshko's ideas works like a charm. So, TrueCrypt - “Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux” - is highly recommended to all SP users!
John Flyer
Experienced user

Return to Sticky Password PRO 6