Update without reboot?

If you have any ideas how we can improve Sticky Password, ideas for new features etc. post it here.

Update without reboot?

Postby Peter » Tue May 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Ondrej and collegues,

first, SP is a very comfortable tool and I like it very much :)

But some times I am nerved by reboot after update.

Why it is not possible (in 2013!!!), to update SP (and other software) without a reboot?

Is it laziness of developers ;) or really impossible?

Regards
Peter
Peter
New user

Re: Update without reboot?

Postby ondrej.novak » Wed May 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi,

thank you for your suggestion.

This issue is caused by the fact that some files that have to be overwritten are used by some other application and Sticky Password cannot update them. We know about this problem.

Please make sure to close your browsers and other applications which are working with Sticky Password (for example Skype) when updating Sticky Password. Hope it will help you.

We will for sure try to improve this behavior in the future if it will be possible.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby chaosxian » Wed May 22, 2013 8:38 pm

ondrej.novak wrote:This issue is caused by the fact that some files that have to be overwritten are used by some other application and Sticky Password cannot update them.
Some installers work around this by terminating and restarting "explorer.exe". I don't know if that would work with Sticky, but it is nearly painless in contrast to a full reboot.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm

The Windows Restart Manager thing (that's what quits and restarts the processes which are blocking files needed to be replaced by the installer) is cool... but I wonder how many angry posts from users would appear if Sticky automatically closes their browsers with unfinished email messages, forum posts or eshop orders during update installation...
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby Peter » Thu May 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi Ondrej,

thank you for quick answer.

Automatic killing of browser-process is not the optimal solution ;)

A better way is to do the setup like other setup-programs. The setup gives the user an info which actual programs are running and that this running processes can cause a reboot.

If I read this, I can exit these processes (like firefox or IE) on my way.

Still better is to deny continue the SP-update during running brower!

Kind Regards
Peter
Peter
New user

Postby chaosxian » Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Evzen wrote:The Windows Restart Manager thing (that's what quits and restarts the processes which are blocking files needed to be replaced by the installer) is cool... but I wonder how many angry posts from users would appear if Sticky automatically closes their browsers with unfinished email messages, forum posts or eshop orders during update installation...
The installers I'm familiar with ask permission to shut down "explorer.exe" (BTW, that is not the browser), or offer rebooting as an alternate method.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Thu May 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Looks like you are not really familiar with operating system internals and other similar stuff...

The fact that "the installers you are familiar with" need to restart explorer.exe (and yes, I know what it is and that it's not the browser) corresponds exactly with what I wrote earlier - that THIS is the process they need to restart, i.e. THIS is the process locking the file(s) they need to update.
You simply have not seen installers which need to shut down and restart other processes than explorer.exe, that's all.

The only common thing with Sticky is the principle - that the installer uses the Restart Manager to restart the process(es) locking the files-to-be-updated.
But the difference is that Sticky needs to restart DIFFERENT process(es) than "the installers you are familiar with"... and since Sticky works mainly with browsers, the process(es) that lock Sticky's files are mainly browsers ==> it's necessary to restart mainly browsers... which is what was already mentioned earlier.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Peter wrote:Still better is to deny continue the SP-update during running brower!
There is nothing easier than closing the browsers manually right when the updater/installer starts but before it continues to actually update/install the files.
All it takes is just a little knowledge and a bit of common sense... and the result is no need to reboot after update.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby PIGCH » Fri May 24, 2013 8:01 am

chaosxian wrote:
ondrej.novak wrote:This issue is caused by the fact that some files that have to be overwritten are used by some other application and Sticky Password cannot update them.
Some installers work around this by terminating and restarting "explorer.exe". I don't know if that would work with Sticky, but it is nearly painless in contrast to a full reboot.
DON'T do that, especially not w/o asking the user! Some software simply looses its tray icon (and so much of its accessibility/functionality) when explorer.exe restarts.
Peter wrote:A better way is to do the setup like other setup-programs. The setup gives the user an info which actual programs are running and that this running processes can cause a reboot.
IMHO that was the preferable solution.
Evzen wrote:All it takes is just a little knowledge and a bit of common sense... and the result is no need to reboot after update.
No need to go after the average (paying as you!) user, evzen. It's not the users job to build up IT knowledge, it's the devels job to avoid bothering the user. No hard feelings, though ;)
PIGCH
New user

Postby Evzen » Fri May 24, 2013 8:38 am

PIGCH wrote:No need to go after the average (paying as you!) user, evzen. It's not the users job to build up IT knowledge, it's the devels job to avoid bothering the user.
I'm not going after anyone, sorry if it sounds like that to the native speakers...
I'm not saying that it's the users job, all I'm saying is that it's not a rocket science to find out a workaround which works until the cause of the problem is fixed by the developers.
Evzen
Experienced user

Return to Suggestions and Feature Requests