command line support (DB-Export)

command line support (DB-Export)

Postby cry0 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:31 am

Hey,

it would be really helpful to get some command line support. The most important thing I would like to see, is to export the complete database via a batch file (maybe with a password prompt while executing the file).

Thank you in appreciation.

Kind regards
cry0
New user

Re: command line support (DB-Export)

Postby ondrej.novak » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi,

could you please specify why exactly do you need this feature?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ondrej Novak
Sticky Password Team

ImageImageImageImageImage
ondrej.novak
Sticky Password Guru

Postby cry0 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi,

I would like to do a daily backup of my stored passwords and notes. I do not want to lose all those entries in case of a system crash. The easiest way of doing this would be via a batch script.

Kind regards
cry0
New user

Postby Evzen » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:49 pm

- Sticky creates a backup of the database everytime you do some change
- You can simply copy the database file itself to some safe place... why do you need exported data?!
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby cry0 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi,

thank you Evzen. I didn't know that sticky password makes a backup itself. If I copy the default.pws I do always have the newest database file, right? Then I do not need this feature anymore.

Kind regards
cry0
New user

Postby chaosxian » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Go to Settings/Database... Select your preferred backup folder location, the number of backups you desire (don't set this too low), and any the storage parameter (date, size) you desire.

Be aware that your most recent backup copy is identical to your working database file, "default.pws", but renamed.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:45 pm

chaosxian wrote:Be aware that your most recent backup copy is identical to your working database file, "default.pws", but renamed.

Are you sure about that?
I'd rather say that if I change an account's password, Sticky creates backup before changing the password ==> the backup file has still the old password, but the default.pws file has the new one. And you won't see this change in the changelog in the Restore from backup dialog.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Evzen wrote:
chaosxian wrote:Be aware that your most recent backup copy is identical to your working database file, "default.pws", but renamed.

Are you sure about that?
Yep. Try it. I added a test word to a secure memo, and noticed that the new backup had the same size, date, time as the working default. Just to be sure I opened the backup pws, and sure enough, the change I made to the secure memo was present.

So it seems that Sticky "mirrors" the default.pws (good for them), and when the default file is changed, a new backup is created to again mirror the current default.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Hehe, I tried that with accounts, not memos - it works exactly as I described:

- create account AAA
- look at the backups - there is no backup with "New account AAA was added" in changelog listed; last backup PWS has different size than default PWS
- create account BBB
- look at the backups - backup with "New account AAA was created" changelog is there
- create account CCC
- look at the backups - backup with "New account BBB was created" changelog is there
- now restore the last backup from before you created the account AAA
- look at the backups - backup with "New account CCC was created" changelog is there
- check the exact size of the default.pws - one would expect it to be the same as the backup file you restored... but no, it's not the same... and it's not the same as any of the "AAA", "BBB" or "CCC" backups either... go figure! ;-)

EDIT:
The same happens here with secure memos too.
SP 6.0.11.449 PRO
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Evzen wrote:Hehe, I tried that with accounts, not memos - it works exactly as I described
Just curious... are your backups stored in the same folder as the default.pws database. I use different folders.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:35 am

I use the default setup, i.e. backups in the same folder as database.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:28 pm

I think that may explain why we see different backup behaviors.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Postby Evzen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:06 pm

I can't think of any reason why would someone program the application to behave differently in those cases.
But I will do some tests with different setup, of course.
Evzen
Experienced user

Postby chaosxian » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:34 pm

I suspect it's a windows thing. Since my backup is the same file (renamed) as the default, it's possible that a copy of the default cannot be copied into the same folder before renaming. Besides, if you're storing your backups in the same place as the working copy, why would you need another copy of the same file there? I just store my backups in Dropbox. If my drive corrupts, I can recover easily all my account info.

Oh well, I've said enough on this thread, and it's gotten OT. Time for me to leave.
chaosxian
Experienced user

Return to Suggestions and Feature Requests